Protocol Droid Head
As seen in the Star Wars legacy.

A Protocol Droid was a type of droid designed to assist sentients in their relations with one another and were programmed mostly for etiquette, and were often used as translators between sentients or between sentients and computers. They also possessed knowledge about various cultures and customs in order to advise those for whom they are working and also so that they themselves may behave in a diplomatic and culturally sensitive manner.

Cybot Galactica, the most famous and successful manufacturer of Protocol Droids outfited them with SyntheTech AA-1 VerboBrains to give Protocol Droids personalities with emotions and the ability to learn and grow very similar to organic beings. The 3PO unit possessed a TranLang III Communications device that could reproduce over six million languages, as well as reproduce any sound it picked up. Some models, such as the pricey E-3POs, also included the TechSpan I module, making it possible to interface with Imperial networks and undocumented technologies of Imperial subcontractors. To date, there are very few feminine-programmed protocol droids.



Here is the Protocol Droid head kit that I bought from Sci-Fi Horror Studios.
As you can see it comes with the head, eye covers, eye sockets, neck discs, and head antenna.

I started out by sanding down the head and cleaning it up where it needed. From there I put on some bondo to fill in some cracks or gaps and sanded those smooth. Then I hollowed out the eyes.

I also cleaned up the detail parts as needed.

*Additional eye parts came from TK409.

I then washed all the parts and let it dry. When dry I primed all the pieces.

After priming I sanded down everything to see how they look. Not to bad. So then I gave everything a base coat of silver spray paint and sanded it down.

I did not want to sand all the silver away. I want it as a base coat since I am going to be weathering and making this protocol droid head worn.

With silver, gold, brass, copper and aluminum paints I layered, sanded, layered, sanded, layered and sanded a bunch of time to give the head an old and worn look.

It is hard to tell in this picture but there are several colors showing through.

I also masked off the eye pieces and painted the inside of them gold. This will help the light seem to glow.

Here is the head after some paint layering and sanding. Again it is hard to see in this picture the coloring clearly. In person there are several metallic colors showing through.

Now to do some detail painting and weathering.

I started to assemble my parts and pieces.

As you can see here I put the eyes together. To fill in the hole in the eyes I inserted a piece of wooden dowel rod painted black. I made it solid since this is not a costume piece, you do not need to see out of it. Plus to keep the light from shining through I had to fill it in.

 

I then glued in the eyes and neck discs.

I knew I wanted the eyes to light up. So using a battery operated led light I installed it into the head. The light is bright and it shown through the eyes as white. I did not want the eyes to show so bright and white. I took a piece of yellow transparent film and placed it inside the head just behind the eyes. Now when I turn on the light it shows with a yellowish color.

Another thing was I did not want the light to show through the bottom. So I took a 4" pvc test cap and painted it black. It pops right onto the bottom of the neck to block out any light.

I then glued the head antenna on, I do believe my Protocol Droid head is now complete. Of course the pictures do not do this Protocol Droid head any justice. You just have to see it in person.


The Protocol Droid head resting in the lap of my Salacious Crumb puppet.